The world we inhabit now exists between these two extremes.
The way of Tao. The yin of the yang.
- In Brave New World you can get all the sex you want and in 1984 you never get any.
- In BNW we try to keep society going by changing as little as possible and in 1984 we change things all the time so that we keep wars going.
- BNW has a beautiful woman called Lenina who wants romance for a change instead of just sex all the time. 1984 has a beautiful woman called Julia who has not had enough of promiscuity and carefully uses any slight chance she can get to have sex.
- In Brave New World, machines do all the dirty work while in 1984 humans do all the dirty work.
- In Brave New World the philosophy of Community, Identity and Stability brain washes you so that you can be as happy as possible. In 1984, Big Brother’s propaganda brainwashes you so that you can be as angry, sexually starved, miserable and as edgy as possible. Hence the perfect mood for a forever at-war society. “Anger gets shit done” – American gods TV series.
- In Brave New World sexual harassment is history. In 1984, you probably might be hanged for touching a woman indecently. You might be hanged for having an erection in public. You will be hanged if you have sex with anybody except your wife.
- In Brave New World people are grown in test tubes. In 1984, people have painful natural birth.
- In Brave New World children belong to the Society and to their genetically and psychologically assigned roles. In 1984 children belong to the party and are encouraged to tell on anybody breaking party rules, including their parents, to the Thought Police.
- In Brave New World the ultimate goal is a flawless functioning society that craves immortally being as it is. Unchangeable. Immovable. In 1984 power struggle is the ultimate goal. And flexing of muscles so as to deepen the sophistication with which power battles happen. Both as individual serving the party (O’Brien can be one-upped, But you have to be really cunning to figure out how), and as the mega nations of Oceania and Eurasia.
- Both Brave New World and 1984 worship technology. The ultimate tool, the meta-prosthetic with which to control mass activities. The tool with which to effectively steer hundreds or thousands of people at a time. Mass consumption, mass propaganda, mass control using Big Data, Big Tech, Big world governments sited atop big chunks of land with hundreds of millions of civilians paying trillions of dollars in taxes-of-some-sort every year.
- Both Brave New World and 1984 believe in one-world governments.
- In both Brave New World and 1984 money has been abolished. The medium of exchange in Brave New World is most likely soma – Christianity plus alcohol without the negative side effects. The medium of exchange in 1984 is probably how much information you can sell to the Thought Police — The body of Big Brother. Head, hands and legs.
- In both Brave New World and 1984 sex is a crucial force of social control and social appeasement. Just like today where the sex industry keeps the foundations of society.
- In both Brave New World and 1984 children belong to the state and are socialized so as to keep to the philosophy of their world.
- In both Brave New World and 1984 people are not really free to do what they will. People are not free to make mistakes, people are not free to cause problems with their “innovations and new ideas”. Great effort is taken to make them conform, as non conformity will lead to the collapse of society as each world knows it. Collapse into a barbarian time before the “enlightenment”.
- Both Bernard Marx and Winston Smith finally accept the world they live in, realizing that they are fighting with something beyond any one person’s control. Bernard takes soma to escape his shame, embarrassment and depression while Winston finally understands the power held by Big Brother and comes to not only respect it, but to love it as well.
In the far future
In about 10,000 years, the people of Brave New World will remain nearly the same. However, some pretty deep insights might be gleaned on how to make the smartest Alpha possible and how to create the cheapest Epsilon or Gamma. If a Gamma could be turned into a living and walking immortal spanner then Brave New World would do it. And if an Alpha or a World Controller could be turned into a super-mentat like Paul Atreides Muah’Dib in Frank Herbert’s DUNE then so be it.
The 1984 kind will have turned into the meanest fighting machines biology could ever produce. Only to keep fighting some more. For War is Peace. They will be able to double think so perfectly they could kill while feeling intense feelings of love for their victims, be slaves to their god Big Brother while feeling the utmost freedom to do whatever they want. And finally, be ignorant, so ignorant of the big picture, that they are so perfectly at one with the spirit of Battle. Hence unbreakable. Strong beyond imagination.